Pages

Alesha Thursday, April 15, 2010

I found this piece by Sondra Perl very interesting because at first she talks about an experiment that was carried out by teachers at NYU in a writing course to tape their thoughts while they composed on a specific topic. This experiment seemed to be useful because a result came out of it the, Recursive process of writing was recognized and patterns were also observed. However, Sondra Perl also gave tips on how to recognize recursive writing and an example of it would be...stop writing and constantly going back and re-read what is written. She explains that Recursive Writing varies from 'writers to writers' and 'topics to topics'. She talks about Felt Sense, which I found very interesting because it was something that existed but was never explained and Perl actually gave it a name. I think every writer can relate to Felt sense, this process focuses on one's inner reflections and also involves bodily sensations. I thought that Retrospective Structuring and Recursive Writing were similar processes but have slight differences. To me, I thought that Retrospective Structuring leaned more towards focusing and being cautious about what you are writing and Recursive Writing, writers constantly stops and re-read what they wrote. I liked this piece because I understood it very well.

3 comments:

~ Radha ~ said...

It is good that you can relate to these strategies and it seems like you learned alot! I will return another day to finish my comment because I know you are still working on this post.

Alan said...

Aleesha I liked the fact that you mentioned all three concepts: felt sense, retrospective structuring and projective structuring. I think you can expand on your feelings on each of these and explain whether or not you feel like they work together in the writing process. Also you may want to share an actual experience with us where you experienced “felt sense” and used it to further your writing.

xO..Book Queen..Ox said...

I like how you mention some of the terms Sondra Perl uses in her essay on Understanding Composing. You say that you can relate to felt sense. How? I think you should expand. I'd also like to hear some examples about how you used these strategies in past assignments and essays. Do you find Perl's guidelines useful or do you think there is another method that works better?

Post a Comment