Pages

Alesha Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I began thinking about actual tutoring a few weeks ago because of this class and I am pretty excited about it. But that does not mean that I'm not scared and nervous. First of all I feel good thinking about how I'm gonna be in a cubicle in the Writing Center with an ENG 099 student and just the thought of helping them to achieve something but I also worry and ask myself questions like: What if I studder on a specific question that I am being asked? or What if I am blank at the moment when a student is sitting there waiting for an answer? Or what if I am reading a part of the essay and I am unsure of something?. This is quite scary knowing that I am going to be the tutor there and I am expected to know most about the topic. Anyway, I think I may come up with a few tips on how to handle my frustration in the cubicle: If I get stuck on a question, I will just ask the student, what would your professor suggest or what is one way your professor explained this specific topic if he/she did. Another way I think I will handle it is if I am unsure of something is I should never panic!...this is a big "NO" in tutoring, so I will probably tell the student that we could come back to this part in a few minutes and that way I can think about that specific sentence or topic while we continue to look at other parts of the essay.

But I am going to let my confidence do its thing and I'll just think positive and hope that everything goes well on the day we are scheduled to tutor. And I will be sure to remember the Tutoring DO'S and DONT'S that we have been discussing in class for the past couple of weeks.

1 comment:

Daniele Ickes said...

I felt the same way also! When I started working as an elementary tutor, I was kind of nervous that the parents might not like my teaching style. Fortunately, my first year went well. And up to now, I am still a tutor. As long as you love what you're doing and you really have the knowledge and skill to impart to your students, then there's no need to worry.

-Daniele Ickes

Post a Comment